Monday, September 22, 2014

Steampunk Kitty

Hello, everyone.  A warm welcome to my newest follower, Sian, so nice to have you join me!

Well, I'm way out of my comfort zone with today's card, so please be gentle!  Brian requested a steampunk card - I didn't really know where to start!  But since I knew his birthday was fast approaching (it was yesterday, in fact), I started to do my research a few days ago. This is the first time I have attempted this style, but I am happy to report that Brian loved it!


At SanDee and Amelia's Steampunk, the challenge is Steampunk Stories. So here is mine...  Steampunk has always been a mystery to me. This is the first steampunk card I've made.  My BF Brian loves steampunk and requested a card quite a while ago. I didn't know where to begin, but he purchased gear dies for me and when I asked him what he would like to see on his card, he said it should be dark, metallic, and industrial-looking.  I started researching steampunk so I could get a feel for what it was all about, and then I really got into it! Anyone who follows my blog will know that I am crazy about cats, and Brian loves cats too. In fact, when any of my cards doesn't have a cat on it, he will ask, "Where is the cat?"  So I wanted my card to feature a steampunk kitty and I think I found the purr-fect image.  I tried to make the kitty white like Brian's cat Snowy, and he noticed it right away.  He was in awe of the steampunk kitty!  I hope you like my first steampunk card!

The image is from Crafty Paws, called Steampunk Kitty - it was a freebie at one point (thank you, Kristina!).  I coloured it with my Prismacolor pencils, die cut into a label shape, and sponged around the edges with black ink.  The sentiment is self-made in Word.  I heat-embossed the gears, dragonfly, and key.  Here are the items used:
  • Dies:  Spellbinders Labels Twenty-two, Memory Box Gear Assembly and Mini Gears
  • Stamps:  Dragonfly (The Old Island Stamp Company), Key (Michaels)
  • Ink:  Versamark, Memories Black
  • Embossing powder:   Black, Silver, Gold (The Artful Stamper)
  • Digi paper:  Bearly Mine Designs freebie - thank you!
  • Digi images:  Steampunk Kitty (Crafty Paws), Metal Hardware (Cajoline Scrap), Pointing Hand Sign (Graphics Fairy).  All were freebies - thank you!
  • Accents:  Charms (stash)

I would like to support the following challenges:
Aurora Wings A Touch of Darkness 1E
Card and Scrap Everything is Allowed UE
CCC Digi Creations Man in Your Life (this is for my man) 1/3
Crafting by Designs September AG UE
DL.ART September Linky UE 1/day
Left of Center LOC theme UE
Not Just Cards AG UE
OLLCB Birthday Boy
SanDee and Amelia's Steampunk Steampunk Stories
Simply Steampunk Metal UE
Sister Act (Cards Only) AG UE
Sparkle and Sprinkle AG with Embossing Powder, Flocking and Glitter UE
The Male Room Metal UE
The Squirrel and the Fox Happy Birthday 1/3
Tok Bobok Masculine/Male World 1/2
We Do Doobadoo Something Masculine 1/3

Thank you for looking at my project!  Wishing you a joyful day!



34 comments:

marion said...

You managed this very well outside your comfy zone, love your steampunk card, lots of hugs and love to you and cuddles to Kiwi, Honeydew and Snowy, Marion

Bad Kitty said...

beautiful car Kitty

Liz's creative corner said...

Fab card, great images and texture, thanks for sharing with us at we do doobadoo, hugs Liz xx

stampingbowd said...

Acck!!! A steampunk kitty!!! I love it!!! What a great card with all the gears!!!

cotnob said...

This is a brilliant Steampunk card, I love your image and fabulous details.
Pauline
x

Claudia N. said...

And purr-fect Steampunk it is! Love your card! And I would never have guessed this was your first Steampunk contact! I can see why your BF loved it - I do too!

Thank you so much for joining in our challenge at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk challenges! It always makes me happy to find that I could lure someone into the steampunk world and have fun!

Greetings from Vienna,
Claudia x

Anne Temple said...

You definitely nailed the steampunk idea! Fantastic card and what a cool image. Thanks for sharing another great project with us for the Sparkle N Sprinkle Creative Challenge.

Lisa said...

You captured steampunk perfectly!! This is fabulous!! I love the gears and all of the details!! The steampunk kitty is adorable!! What an awesome card!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

aussie aNNie said...

BRILLIANT KITTY what a fabulous Steam Punk card with beautiful colour tones...love this a super creation.xxxx
The Journey is the Start

Barbara Godden said...

Awesome job on the steampunk, I don't know how to do steampunk but you sure have a handle on it. fabulous job. Hopefully I will be back to "normal" after the laser surgery today. thanks for asking in my post.

Beth Brovold said...

FABULOUS card KT!! I would have thought you had been doing this forever if you hadn't told us otherwise...well done!!!! Love the kitty and all the wonderful steam punk embellies!!
Take care,
Beth

Carol L said...

Fun card with all the cogs and gears! That kitty is what I used to call "Far Out!" LOL

MaryH said...

Looks to me like you've got the Steam Punk technique well in hand. (I don't do Steam punk or grunge either, so I'm very impressed!). This is a- as Carol says - "Far Out" - we're dating ourselves! How clever of you to use your BF's purchased embellies, find such a cute & appropriate image to enhance the embellies and create that fab background to display all the punk goodies. This is a fab card, and even more so, since it's your first effort on this kind of style. I think you've aced it, indeed. I expect your BF thought so too! TFS

DonnaMundinger said...

Brilliant! I love Steampunk, I love kitties! Couldn't be more fabulous! You look like you were born to this genre. Thanks so much for joining our A Touch of Darkness Challenge at Aurora Wings. xxD

McCrafty's Cards said...

Brilliant card, I like the design, Thank you for joining in with us at We Do Doobadoo, Good Luck.
Kevin xx

Debi said...

Your gears were really turning when you made this awesome steam punk card. Love that image. One of your cutest kitty cards. Great, girlfriend.p

Anet's Crafting said...

Gorgeous card Kitty. I love layout and the pretty dies. Thank you for joining us at CCC Digi Creations. We would love to see you again ... Anet DT x

Crafty Judith said...

wow aaamazing Kitty so many lovely embellishments hugs Judith x

Sarn said...

Oh my! You did so well getting out of your comfort zone and creating a steampunk work of art.
Hugs, Sarn xxx

Lori said...

Your card is so fun! Love all the gold embellishments and that awesome image!

Linby said...

Great steampunk card, I love all the elements you've incorporated. Thanks for sharing with us at Ooh La La Creations this time.
Lynn x
DT

Donna Ellis said...

Of course she is! Wow! A steampunk kitty! Leave it to you - such a fabulous piece, Kitty, and wonderful details and coloring - you have outdone yourself! hugs, de

Vicki Dutcher said...

Great use of the gears - Thanks for joining in at The Male Room~

Donna said...

Wow, you really captured the steampunk look and with a cat! I've not ventured into this yet, maybe one day, you did awesome at it!

fiction book reviews said...

Another stunning card x
Thank you for joining this week at Not Just Cards Challenges Good luck and We hope you'll join us again soon.
Also just to let you know we are also having a DT call
Zoe x
Handmade with lots of Love

Unknown said...

Awesome card, thanks for sharing it with us over at CCC Digi Creations.

Hazel said...

Beautiful steampunk. Thank you so much for joining my Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper September challenge with your super creation - hope to see you again soon x

Deborah Frings said...

Super steampunk kitty! I love the gears, the metallic look - really good work. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room this week!

Lisa Howell said...

Great job! Thanks for joing in the Simply Steampunk Challenge ;)

maureenjscott said...

Oh this is stunning!! I love the composition, great embellishments and awesome image! Thanks for sharing in our Stripes Challenge at Left of Center! mo dt coordinator. xxx

Corinne said...

Awesome use of Metal!!
thank you for playing with us at SSC
hugs

DistinctiveLMNts said...

Love your metal accents, thanks for joining in the challenge at Simply steampunk challenges.

Louise said...

Brilliant project!! I love the steampunk kitty!! Thank you for sharing it with us at Simply Steampunk Challenges xx

Irene's Creations said...

great job. Thanks for joining in at Simply Steampunk Challenges.