Hello, everyone! Today I'm sharing some quick cards! Before I get started, I would like to welcome three new followers - Wynn Walton
(on Google Friend Connect) and Barbara
(on Bloglovin') - thank you for joining me!
Yesterday I wanted to make a lot of cards but didn't have a lot of time. I like to support charities, especially this time of year, so I wanted to make a bunch of cards and get them into the mail. I surprised myself and made 13 cards! I've never made that many cards in one day before! They're quick but I still wanted them to be cute!
With Christmas coming and everyone short on time, I thought it might be helpful if I shared some of my tips for making quick cards.
Tip #1 - Recycling/Upcycling
I like to save old Christmas cards and tags received in previous years so I can upcycle them. This chilly penguin was the front of a tag in its former life, and I thought it was such a fun image! Note: When making cards for children, it's best not to use many embellishments. If you do add them, ensure you use permanent adhesive so they won't come off.
- Embossing folder: Taylored Expressions Snowfall (sanded to reveal white core of cardstock)
- Die: Poppystamps Stitched Landscapes
- Stamp: Sentiment (Poppystamps You Melt My Heart)
- Other: Snowflake sequin, upcycled image from old tag
Tip #2 - Use Stickers
I have a ton of stickers in my Dollarama stash and I've been wanting to use them up! 3-D and puffy stickers are great for quick cards! Some of these snowman stickers are shakers - so fun!
- Stamps: Snowfall (Stampin' Up Itty Bitty Backgrounds), sentiments (Poppystamps You Melt My Heart, Kolette Hall Joy)
- Ink: Simon Says Stamp Audrey Blue, Avery Elle Pure White, Versafine Onyx Black
- Dies: Memory Box Curved Happy Holidays, Poppystamps Stitched Landscapes, Scalloped Stitched Window (unmarked brand from China)
- Embossing folder: Taylored Expressions Winter Flurry
- Other: Dollarama stickers
Tip #3 - Use Tags
You can get a lot of tags in a package for a dollar, or better yet, buy them after Christmas at 50 to 75 percent off, which is what I do. I tend to go for the shaped tags as they are already pre-cut, so no fussy-cutting is required! This little penguin's scarf is already a velvet-like texture and I simply added Diamond Stickles to his hat and popped him up on foam tape. Note there is usually a small hole in tags to tie them onto gifts. Most of the time the bit is still in place in the hole, so I like to tape the back of the tag so it will not fall out.
- Stamp: Sentiment (Poppystamps You Melt My Heart)
- Ink: Your Next Stamp Holly Berry Red
- Embossing folder: Cuttlebug Christmas Set
- Other: Holly leaves and penguin tag from dollar store, Diamond Stickles
Tip #4 - Keep it Clean and Simple
When I am pressed for time, I like to make a clean and simple card. Embossing folders can add texture and interest.
- Sentiment (Poppystamps You Melt My Heart)
- Ink: Stampin' Up Tempting Turquoise
- Embossing folder: Darice Snowflake Background
- Other: Image (tag from dollar store), Nuvo Crystal Drops - Caribbean Ocean (won these in a Simon card kit - thank you, Deedee!)
Tip #5 - Make Multiples
I already had my supplies out and card design planned, so I made multiples. Sometimes I vary the embossing folder and embellishments.
There are a number of worthwhile organizations collecting handmade cards right now, and here are a few that I like to support (click the links for all the details):
- Hug a Heart for children who will be spending their holiday in the intensive care and inpatient wings at Nationwide Children's Hospital Heart Center (U.S.)
- Send a Smile for Kids for children who are inpatient at Children's Hospitals (U.S. and Canada)
- Caring Hearts Card Drive for the elderly who live in nursing homes (U.S., Canada, and U.K.)
I would like to support the following challenges: 613 Avenue Create AG 3/8; Allsorts Feature a Creature 3/3; Artistic Inspirations AG UE; Beccy's Place A Month of Holiday Cards UE; Blessings Ink Amusing Challenges AG No Digis 1/2; Cardz TV AG 3/3; Clique Kits AG 3/3; Craft Your Passion Always AG 1/3; CRAFT Winter 2/5; Crafter's Cafe Christmas Comes Early 1/3; Crafting by Designs Little Animals 1/3; Crafty Catz AG 3/3; Crafty Creations Animals 3/3; Crafty Friends For Someone Special 3/3; Crafty Gals Corner Any Holiday 1/2; Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Extra November UE; Creative Fingers AG 3/3; DL.ART November Linky AG UE 1/day; Fabrika Fantasy Christmas is Coming 2/3; Glitter N Sparkle AG 3/3; Imagine That Creative Playground Christmas is Coming 3/3; Inky Chicks Winter Wonderland UE; Inspiration Destination AG UE; Just Keep on Creating November Linky AG UE; Lil Patch of Crafty Friends AG 3/3; Not Just Cards November AG UE; Open-Minded Crafting Fun Christmas 2/3; Paper Creator's Crafts AG 3/3; Penny's Paper-crafty Christmas 1/3; Scrap and Craft Christmas Time 2/3; Send a Smile 4 Kids Happy Holidays 4 Kids 2/3; Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Christmas Critters 1/5; Sweet Stampin' Christmas AG 2/3; The Outlawz Saturday PAM Baby It's Cold Outside 1E; Word Art Wednesday AG w Uplifting Sentiment wk1 3/5
Thank you for looking at my cards! Wishing you a joyful day!