Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Turner Syndrome Hop and Butterflies

Hello, everyone!  Today I'm sharing a butterfly-themed thinking of you card using Newton's Nook stamps in support of the "It's a Girl Thing" Blog Hop and Challenge.  This is my second card for the challenge, and I wanted to use Newton's Nook stamps as they are one of the sponsors.

I first learned about Turner Syndrome during last year's hop; it's a genetic disorder where a female is born missing her second X chromosome, leaving her with life-long medical issues.  It affects one in every 2,000 to 2,500 girls but is more common among pregnancies that do not survive to term (miscarriages and stillbirths).  I would like to help spread awareness of Turner Syndrome to as many people as possible in hopes that the medical field will do more research on how Turner Syndrome affects girls and women throughout their lifetimes.  


Products:
Distress Oxide inks:  Picked Raspberry, Cracked Pistachio, Dried Marigold, Squeezed Lemonade
Versafine Clair inks:  Charming Pink, Green Oasis, Golden Meadow
Other:  Watercolour cold press 140 lb, various square punches (Marvy Uchida)

I found inspiration in the watercolour challenge at Newton's Nook Inky Paws.  I hope my technique qualifies as watercolour.  I blended Distress Oxide ink through a homemade stencil onto watercolour paper and then spritzed with water.  I was inspired by the card in this video, although she did not spray hers with water.  After the paper dried, I stamped the butterflies and sentiment and then adhered a pink cardstock strip for a pop of colour.


My butterflies were also inspired by Mrs. A's Butterfly Challenge 151 and I went with Inking, along with the colours of Inchworm (pale green) and Ivory (watercolour cardstock).  I'm hoping to try the Inside Out Card next!


I would also like to join the following 7 challenges, for a total of 10:

http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com/2021/02/dlart-february-2021-linky-challenge.html

http://pennyschallenges.blogspot.com/2021/02/pennys-challenge-490.html

http://pammiesinkypinkieschallenges.blogspot.com/2021/02/pip-challenge-2108.html

https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge/simon-says-anything-goes-81/

The Outlawz Festive Friday Anything Goes (Thinking of You) UE
https://outlawzchallenges.ning.com/group/friday-color/forum/topics/festive-fridays-february-19-march-4

http://ttcrd.blogspot.com/2021/02/anything-goes-challenge-23rd-february.html

Word Art Wednesday 479-480 AG w Uplifting Sentiment 2/5 Wk1
http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.com/2021/02/anything-goes-weeks-479-480.html

Thank you for looking at my card! Wishing you a joyful day!

17 comments:

Lori Kobular said...

Oh I think I need this Butterfly stamp set too!! I have the other Newton's Nook set, but I love the wings on the butterflies! Your card is perfect for the Card Challenge and I absolutely love it! Thanks for sharing with us and helping to spread awareness of Turner Syndrome!!

Fikreta said...

its so lovely card!
hugs

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Great take of NN input, Kitty! Love the sweet stencilled colours and the gorgeous butterflies! It's a fabulous card for the Turner Syndrome challenge! Well done, such beautiful design!
Sending biggest hugs ever! Take care of yourself and of Brian!

Linda Mc Enery said...

Such beautiful colours and design and gorgeous butterflies. Soft and sweet. Thanks for sharing this with us at Penny's!
Linda

Jan Mahew said...

Karen, Beautiful CAS pastel hued creation! The butterflies Pop! Thank you for helping to raise the awareness of Turner Syndrome and supporting the TSA challenge. Stay safe, healthy and happy crafting!
Hugs,
Jan

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is a real beauty Kitty.
Hugs
Cathy
xxx

cotnob said...

A super card, fabulous design - so pretty.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Suzanne H said...

I love the technique using a homemade stencil. I love the colors of this too and it's perfect for the Turners Syndrome Blog Hop.

Barbara Godden said...

Super cute card, great technique and awesome making your own stencil. thanks for the links to both, the butterfly challenge and the video. Very interesting.

Stacey said...

What a pretty card. Love the butterflies. Thanks for playing along with us at Penny's.

DT Stacey
www.butterflycreations.blog

Mrs A. said...

I am so impressed with your homemade stencil. I love those pretty muted colours all put together.Thankyou for coming and spinning the butterfly wheel with me. Hugs Mrs A.

Donna said...

Beautiful card for a fabulous cause. Great idea making your own stencil.

Darlene said...

Very clever and beautiful design! Thanks so much for helping spread the word about Turner Syndrome. We sure appreciate your support. Stay safe & healthy.

Claire Lamb said...

Your homemade stencil is so creative and worked super well! The fun background you created perfectly accents the butterflies! Thanks for joining the Inky Paws Challenge!

2sistersproject said...

Super cute card ! Thanks for linking to the Inky Paw's Challenge.
Hugs
Diane

kReN said...

Sweet card. Thanks for joining us at the PIP Challenge this week! kReN on the DT. Follow me at https://afourthlife.blogspot.com

Indy's Designs said...

Making your own stencil! Great idea! Such pretty colors and fun design! So glad you shared with us at Inky Paws!
Hugs,
Debbie