Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Remembering Janis - Cat Lovers Christmas Challenge

Good morning, everyone!  I have been absent from my blog for several months but decided to come back in October for the Cat Lovers Christmas Challenge to honour our dear friend Janis Woolbright, who passed away unexpectedly in January 2023.  When Jo at Christmas Kickstart Challenge invited me to help out, I thought it was the purrfect way to remember Janis.

Today is Day 2 of the Challenge entitled All About Janis.  Jo has invited us to share our memories of Janis in the comments of that blog post.  Please head over and share yours.

What do I remember about Janis?  My first thoughts are that Janis loved cats, her family, her church, making cards, blogging, and that she organized the annual Cat Lovers Hop.  As a cat lover myself, this was the highlight of my crafting year!  I joined every year for 8 years.  

The Cat Lovers Hop wasn't just a blog hop. Janis made it special.  It was a week-long event where Janis invited us to get together to share our cat stories, our cat cards, cat layouts, and other crafty cat projects.  

Janis wanted to read about the cats in our lives and also memories of our departed kitties.  Tears were shed each year as I read everyone's stories and as I remembered my own kitties of the past.  Janis provided a space for all of this during the Cat Lovers Hop.  She was compassionate, kind, and supportive.

Most of all, Janis made the Cat Lovers Hop fun!  It was great fun, with daily games and challenges that helped us all connect.  Janis even had us try our hand at poetry, and she inspired us to write poems about our cats. This was tough for me but I enjoyed it so much, and enjoyed reading everyone else's poems.

Another happy memory is that Janis would visit everyone's card or project in the link-up and would leave a thoughtful comment, not just a quick "cute card."   You knew that Janis took the time to actually look at the details of your card or project and remarked on what she liked about it.  In short, Janis cared.

Janis was also a pro at organizing.  Although she had helpers with the hop each year, Janis did most of it herself, and it was a lot of work.  As busy as she was, she was patient and took the time to answer everyone's questions with kindness.  I never met Janis personally, so we only connected through email or her blog, but I know Janis was a Christian and we shared our love of the Lord.  We would pray for each other as well.

One last memory is that Janis had a great sense of humour and she loved cat memes!  She would share cat memes on nearly every blog post, not just during the Cat Lovers Hop, but all the time!  Janis was a lot of fun!  So in memory of Janis, I would like to share a few cat memes that I collected.  Enjoy!






Rest in peace, Janis. 

12 comments:

mandysea said...

Dear Kitty, what a wonderful tribute you have so beautifully articulated about Janis our dear dear friend. Every word you wrote sings so very true. I miss her especially at this time when Janis would be calling us altogether. Oh yes the memes, she did love her memes. I've giggled at yours (mwah)xx

Carol L said...

The cat memes are hilarious and such a wonderful and fun tribute to the kind of person Janis was. She was obviously dedicated, kind, and caring and I'm sure she will always be remembered fondly. The world could learn a lot from what she left behind. Rest in peace Janis, you will not be forgotten.

jimlynn said...

The memes are so cute - and spot on too! LOL! So funny and FUN! Great memories of Janis and yes, I always enjoyed seeing all the wonderful cards on the hop she had each year.
Lynn

Dotty Jo said...

Oh, Kitty, I have tears in my eyes. Your words are beautiful heartfelt and totally capture everything I felt about Janis myself. She was so special and we all miss her so much, Jo x

Donna said...

Beautiful tribute and liked cat memes.

Lena said...

What a beautiful tribute to Janis. Your love for her comes through each and every word you used. The cat memes are too funny!
Have a wonderful day.
❤Lena
Lena’s Creations

Barbara Godden said...

beautiful tribute to Janis she sounds like she was a special person, and had a lovely place to share "cat" stories. So happy you have joined Jo in the tribute.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Such beautiful post, Kitty! Your words describe perfectly the way I too knew Janis and her way to be supportive and caring! And the meme... I too collected some, and some beautiful photos she usually put on her blog.
She will be unforgettable for sure.
Thanks for sharing your lovely memories!
Sending you big hugs, warm thoughts and prayers, dear friend!!

Becca Yahrling said...

Oh, how fun!! Janis is laughing hysterically. As am I!!! lol
And I have to ditto everything in your post - it describes her so purrfectly.
Janis & I would email each other every once in awhile and we talked about fun things, of course, but also about family. Her family was a priority, which we shared. <3

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Great tribute to Janis, Kitty, and I love all the cat comic strips - all brought a smile!

Fikreta said...

Im so glad that you decide to come back the Cat Lovers.
Oh yes Janis was all that you say.
Great memes.

Tina Z. said...

Dear Kitty, what a wonderful tribute! such a great idea and such fun.
crafty hugs xx